torstai 4. heinäkuuta 2013

Life is Beautiful, Life is Fantastic. Midsummer Day's Magic Spells in Norway.

It was time to go to explore my Viking roots. And to go to do some Midsummer Day's magic spells to Oslo, Norway.
 
 
This was my first time in Oslo, I have only visited Norwegian Lapland shortly as a child.
 
I thought there wouldn't be so much to see in Oslo, but apparently I was wrong. There was a lot to discover: you can walk for hours and not get bored for a minute, because there is beautiful architecture, lots of art and interesting details (like light art, funny statues, poems on the street and so on), parks and gardens, restaurants and cafe's, smoothie bars, museums, great views and nature. And lots of beautiful people with special, - a bit Sami people -like - facial characteristics.
 
Oslo is 'an easy to get into' and a peaceful city, however there was lots of going on. There were festivals going on and it was also Oslo Gay Pride's time and you could see it in the city; there were lots of gay couples walking around hand in hand.
 
Karl Johans gate is the main shopping street, leading from the Railway Station, 'Sentralstasjon' to the Royal Palace on the other end. Our hotel was near that at the very centre at Dronningensgate (where else the Queen would stay ;), Thon Hotel. Oslo is very expensive, but my friend found a room with a reasonable price for us (and with an excellent and luxurious breakfast, btw!).
 
I didn't do so much shopping this time. The shops are very much the same as in Helsinki and I didn't feel like shopping. (Not to mention that Oslo is very expensive.) The meaning of this trip was elsewhere ;)
The Parliament House (below).
I like the architecture. Lots of pretty balconies, that was the common thing there, even though Norway is a cold country.
"Are you where you are? Are you not where you are? Go to where you are. I'll wait for you - there."
Poetry on the street was a common sight. Lot's of Ibsen's poetry too.
 
We visited University's library (below).
"Love Ate Hate". On the way to Vigeland park.
Vigeland sculpture park after a little rain.

Resting my poor feet sitting on the statue stone in the Vigeland park. We walked there the whole way from the centre.
One of the reasons of this trip was to explore my Viking roots. I really have them, I have investigated my family tree and heritage and found that there are among other things Norse Vikings in my ancestors. So very exciting!
 
So we took the metro and then bus to the Bygdoy to the Viking museum. It is more profitable to take 24-hour ticket (80 NOK) or if you stay longer, a 7-day ticket (220 NOK) for the public transport, than a single ticket that is 30 NOK in advance or 50 NOK bought from the driver. You can buy the tickets for example from the ticket machines at the metro stations.
 
You can use the same tickets on all public transport in Oslo: bus, tram, metro, train and ferries going to nearby islands too. Public transport is easy and works well in Oslo.
 
Viking ships at the Viking museum.
Vikings used a lot of magic and runes. Midsummer's Day was the most important event of the year for them. We did some magic spells too and we also had runes with us. You know, there is a part of Viking and witch in me. But don't worry, I am a good witch ;)
 
This is a classic Midsummer Day's magic spell: putting flowers under your pillow. And this is what we did too! :)
 
I picked up these flowers.
And I chose seven different ones out of them to put under my pillow. That's the correct way to do this. Then going to sleep :)
 Did I see my Prince Charming in a dream? Well of course I did, no question of that. Now I know how he looks like, so I'll recognize him when I'll meet him ;)
 
One day we had an urgent need to get high (lol). The scenery was great from up the hill.
 
An old castle turned in to a school (below). I could imagine Nemo going to a school like that :)
A Norwegian workman picking flowers.
Maybe he was going to put them under his pillow? ;) 


A skating board park.
From the Gamlebyen, the old town.
Houses are colourful and this is quite typical architecture around.
We found a very nice restaurant/ bar while walking back to the centre. Unfortunately I can't remember the name or the street anymore. I took lots of photos there. Reminds me a bit from bars in Berlin but is less jagged.
 
 
There are lots of art almost everywhere you look in the city.
 Nice art, but I would name this bar with a more positive name.
 The Opera House. (below) You can climb up to the roof at any time and also visit inside at the day time for free. These pics have been taken quite late at night.
Art in the sea.
At the roof of the Opera House.
Looking at the oh so nice sceneries.
 
Walking at the Strandpromenaden to Aker Brygge at night time.
Strandpromenaden starts near the City Hall.
Lots of art everywhere. The Astrup Fearnley's museum of modern art is also here in Aker Brygge.
A drunken Viking jumped in front of me while I was photographing in the night in the city. The poor guy has no idea he ended up into my blog :)

Akerhus Castle. I had a feeling I need to go there.

 



 I had some amazing moments here, orbs came into my pictures and I had a warm feeling in my heart, like I had been here before ;)


A scenery from the yard of the castle.
This poster (below) welcomed and also goodbyed us at the Oslo 'sentralstasjon' when we came and left by the train.
What a beautiful and fantastic - and not to forget magical - trip, and so close!
Bye and see You soon! <3
 
 
 
 

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti